Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The path less traveled

In the past two days I have have been privileged to interview for two teaching positions.  The first position that I interviewed for was at a school classified as "Title 1."  Schools are classified based on the socioeconomic status of the population of students that attend the school.  The second position was at a school considered one of the top three in the district. This "good school" is rated highly and has impressive test scores.   
My first interview at the Title 1 school lasted over an hour and was very professional in nature.  At the end of the initial interview, the principal requested telephone numbers for my references and informed me that he would be following up.  The principal contacted me several hours after the interview requesting that I return to the school to speak with him.  At my second visit to the Title 1 school, the principal led me on a guided tour of the school and spoke about all of the great things that his school had to offer its students and community.  He was aware of my upcoming interview with the school considered a "great school."  He was gracious enough to afford me the opportunity to interview with the second school before making a final decision but requested that I make my decision quickly.
My first interview with the "great school" lasted twenty-five minutes.  The panel of administrators, coaches, and teachers that interviewed me for the position asked less questions than the panel at the "Title 1" school.  When asked if I had any questions for the panel, I asked "What is great about working at your school?"  I was perplexed that no one on the panel was able to honestly answer that question without really thinking.  At the end of that interview, the principal informed me that he would need to make a decision swiftly and that he would get back to me either way.  I received a call less than a half-hour later from the principal offering me the position.  

I graciously declined the position at the "good school."  

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. The school you chose is lucky to have you. The kids will do great and you will make a difference in their lives. Sounds like a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now after reading this and your personal email to me, I'm confident that you made the right choice. You and I WILL talk further, but you mention some very obvious reasons why one sounds "better" than the other. Really think about some of what you say here....I think it will appear obvious. I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete